Can anyone beat my record of two highway rollovers by the time they were 25?
This weekend I was going to work a craft show up in Kalamazoo Michigan with my mom and her boss. They picked me up on their way & off we went (Kalamazoo is only an hour and a half from here). Almost as soon as we entered Michigan, snow started falling. By the time we jumped on 94 East, it was starting to build up on the roads. The driver started sliding, the van turned sideways (sliding), and we went off the road, rolling several times. It was hard to count how many times, but I'd guess 2-4 rolls. Maybe the police report will show differently- they could see the tracks in the snow or something. I never stepped outside of the van after it stopped to be able to see for myself; they carried me to the ambulance on a stretcher with a neck brace on.
When the van finally stopped rolling (landing right-side up, thank goodness), I seemed to feel ok except for some pains in my neck and back starting, and noticing that I'd slid down and the seatbelt was tight right across the center of my pregnant tummy. That freaked me out, so of course I reached and undid the buckle to get it off. My mom and her boss seemed to be ok; they were moving around, and my mom even hopped out the van within a minute or two to check things out.
They took me in an ambulance to some tiny hospital in a town I'd never heard of, where they listened for the baby's heartbeat (it seemed normal, thank God), and did a CT Scan of my neck/back to check for damage. The results came back clear, so I finally got to take the uncomfortable neck brace off (this had been probably 2 hrs already), and get off of the back/body board that I was strapped to and put in a regular hospital bed (which seemed heavenly by that time).
The doctors said the baby needed to be checked more thoroughly, but this tiny hospital didn't have any OB equipment, so they had to get me to another hospital that did. Another ambulance ride later, and I was back at Memorial Hospital in South Bend. On the ride I started having contractions, which at first I tried to play off as bladder pains because I had to go to the bathroom so badly and the ride was taking forever. At the hospital I got hooked up to all the equipment and they confirmed that I was having contractions about every 3 minutes. Scary! Luckily they have a medication that can stop that, and it worked. They did an exam to make sure my water hadn't broken at all (it hadn't), and then sent me home around 10:15pm. Now I just deal with incredibly stiff and sore muscles, a banged up head and finding new bruises in random places.
Thank you so much to the Evans for taking Sawyer for the evening, so Joe could come be with me at the hospital. I don't know if I'd ever been happier than when we picked Sawyer up from their apartment, wearing his red fire truck jammies and he gave me a kiss, saying "I love you Mommy". Of course I cried and didn't want to let him go. We went straight home and all snuggled in our bed as a family, kissing and crying and saying so many "I love you"s I can't possibly count. I love my family and we are so incredibly grateful that me and the baby were protected so we could come home.






8 comments:
O my gosh thats so scary! I am glad you are okay!
Talking you you about this today was alright, but this made me tear up! Glad you are going to be OK.
Hi Carrie -
We are soooo grateful to hear that you are safe and so it your little one! How scary, but we are happy to hear that you were blessed and watched over! Hope you are feeling better!
Take Care,
Charlotte :)
Carrie, I am so glad you are ok! It was weird how when Joe called I started crying because I was so worried about you! And then all Dan & I could do after you left was talk about the blessing it was that you and your baby were ok. You be careful ok!!!??? I'm so glad that Heavenly Father was looking out for you!
I am so glad you and the baby are okay. what a scarey day.
Oh my goodness, how scary! So glad to hear you're okay!! And the baby too, glad you're safe!
Carrie- I am so glad that you and your baby are okay. You were definitely being watched out for. Your story made me tear up thinking how precious life is. I will be thinking about you and treasuring the blessing I have even more.
Really from Kristen - Over and over again I believe in miracles - we're so thankful that you and the baby are well. Our prayers started as prayers for you and the baby and quickly prayers of thanks.
Post a Comment