Tuesday, October 5, 2010

MINDEN?!

Where's Minden?! That's what I've been figuring out...
Minden is a tiny town in Nevada with a population of about 3,100 people. It's about an hour south of Reno, 30 minutes east of Lake Tahoe, and 30 minutes from the California border. There are plenty of mountains, and a very mild winter.
We'll probably be packing up to move there the first week of November. I'll keep you updated!

This is the GE Energy building in Minden. It looks HUGE! Joe says they employ about a quarter of the city! I'm curious what dynamic that might bring to the town... hoping it's a good thing.



As you can probably imagine, I can't find a whole lot of pictures of Minden online. But this main park in town seems to be a common picture I do find. It looks promising!


But this picture doesn't. *ulgh*.... snow. I was really dreaming that I was done with that. At least it's very mild compared to the Midwest winters I know. I talked with an apartment manager on the phone, and when she heard we were coming from Atlanta, she got all somber and said "ohhhh well we have winter here...", warning me. I told her I'd read it was a fairly mild winter, though. She responded, "WELL, last year we had an entire week where it snowed every day! But all the other snowfalls were just dustings." OooOoooo ScArY!!! Hehe :) I can handle that kind of winter. Let's hope the snow week is during Christmas this year, since we're not going anywhere anyway. Flights are too expensive anywhere nearby. I'll sure miss the Atlanta Airport, offering such cheap flights everywhere.

Don't get me started on what else I'll miss about Atlanta. Just send out good vibes into the Universe, willing us to come back next summer, permanently. I will be.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Wow, that will definitely be an experience! That is a tiny town! I will have to google it now and see where it is- I'm sure there is plenty to do in Reno, if nothing else! Good luck!

Brittany and Joe said...

I think it looks nice! I'd kill for a nice place like that that had a military base. I like that park that you had the two pictures of.

Theradlife said...

It's about time you come over to the West Coast!!

Katelyn said...

Cool! Congrats! It will be a fun adventure! Good luck!

Erica Layne | Let Why Lead said...

Hey, at least you'll be closer to the Nielsen family! haha If it's in the Tahoe vicinity then maybe you can make a little tourist trip to San Fran sometime!