Monday, March 29, 2010

Stuff That's Worth It!


(Wood Blocks take the cake of a childhood staple!)


Since Sawyer was the first born grandchild on both sides of the family, he has been sufficiently spoiled with toys of all kinds (thank you, all family for providing all of his life's entertainment!). After several years of this, it's interesting to take note of which toys actually kept their interest for more than a few minutes, or a few months. They've had their expensive vtech video games, their spinning-light-up-this-n-thats... but many are tossed aside after a short burst of interest. Which toys do they actually play with for hours? For years?

This post is a spotlight on the toys that are the best of the best. Of course, all kids should have the basics always available of crayons, paints, play-doh, puzzles, books, & music; but this post is about those extra toy purchases, and which I felt were worth it!

The Tonka Firetruck! It has one button to make the lights & siren. The ladder extends, and it has separate ladders on the sides that detach. Uncle Zach got this for Sawyer for Christmas when he was 2, and it is still played with several times a week and keeps a prime spot on the floor next to the toy box.

Hot Wheels Cars & Tracks: He got his first track set from Uncle J.P. a year and half ago, and pulls them out to build about every other day (and plays for hours). He also takes cars to church every Sunday since he's gotten them.

LEGOS: He actually just started with the little ones on his 4th birthday, so it's only been a couple of months; but it's been almost every day & isn't slowing down!



Thomas the Train Wooden Track Set: This stuff is incredibly expensive, but since it was a gift, it's easy for me to say it was worth it! His trains are out almost every day. They've actually played with them for almost an hour this morning already. Endless track building and imaginative play! I've only had one wood track break (it split when stepped on), but the company replaced it. The paint is getting chipped up on the trains, but other than that, it's been great quality & I hope it lasts for my grandchildren someday!



DUPLOS: The bigger toddler version of legos. He is still building things every day, and Hunter has picked up quite a bit as well.

Keyboard: I have my childhood piano, but because it's sacred I generally only let the kiddos bang on that a few minutes a day. The rest of the time they bang out their creative beats on the electric keyboard from my dad. They love all the different sounds, pre-programmed songs, and beats they can play & dance to. They fight over this! Spend the few bucks to always keep a pack of balloons available. I'm not sure what the magic of a ballon is, but every kid from 1-8 still gets excited for balloons & will play with them for a LONG time!




We've kept a big box available since Halloween of last year. Cut a hole in the side for a window/baby-escape & you're golden for a few hours! Give them their crayons & they'll go nuts all over it. I'm too claustrophobic to understand the fun of the box, but it's undeniable!


If you feel so inclined, I'd love to hear what the toys are that've stood the test of time with YOUR kids! :)

5 comments:

Erin said...

Thanks for the informative post Carrie. (It's really Finn who should be thanking you in about a year.) I love the classic toys.

Theradlife said...

What a great idea for a post! I didn't see many girl toys though! :) Actually, Carlee loves all those toys too. Thanks for the balloon idea...I forget about the fun of balloons too easily.

Stacy Stoddard said...

Thomas the Train set is awesome. We had one given to us as well. I am to cheap to buy it but after watching the boys play with it endlessly through out every day, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if I had to.

The Schaefers said...

I LOVE this post!

Irish Cream said...

Toy Shopping Cart: it has multiple uses including a wheelchair, car, baby stroller, etc. It's been well-loved. My only frustration is it's difficulty in storing.

Ducks: you know, Rubber Duckies? Great in the bathtub or in the play room. Fun inside or outside.

Buckets, Shovels, etc: Also good indoor/outdoor toy (although I usually have one for both locations cuz I'm not fond of that much dirt in my living room). Used in a variety of creative play.