I finally got out of the house! I even drove the car! It's great to be alive again. Food tastes amazing. It's like a blind person getting their sight back (well, on a small scale). Even the chicken salad on wet, soggy, cheap bread I had for lunch at the aquarium tasted phenomenal.
Sawyer and I had an amazing day at the GORGEOUS Fort Fisher Aquarium. If you've looked at a map of our area of NC, it's about a 20 mile long peninsula going southward into the Atlantic. This aquarium is down on the very TIP of the peninsula, surrounded by water, and it's absolutely stunning! I can't believe it hasn't gotten wiped out by hurricanes, now that I think about it...
Here's your mini-tour of the aquarium:
Box turtle lunch time!
Here's your mini-tour of the aquarium:
Box turtle lunch time!




They have an amazing, huge "touch tank", full of things that can be touched (crabs, shells full of creatures to flip over, star fish, other anemone type creatures). These are horse shoe crabs:


The under side of a horse shoe crab (we could touch it... it just feels like fingernails tapping against you):


MONSTER lobsters! This isn't the touch tank anymore...




Their ocean tank is 30 feet deep and absolutely GORGEOUS! Look at the size of these windows compared to Sawyer at the bottom! They're full of sharks, monster sting rays, eels, and other huge sea creatures. We must've sat at these two huge windows for half an hour or more.



Another view of the ocean tank from around the corner, this is a concave circular window into it (with a diver in there this time, coming over to say hi):
We got a great shot of the octopus in action:










4 comments:
That video was awesome. When we went to the Shedd aquarium I was really hoping to see an octopus but I never did. It was fun to show McKenna what an octopus in action looks like. Thanks for sharing!
Awesome blog post!!! That Aquarium looks amazing! I'm so glad to see a fun blog post for you! I'm so glad you were able to get out of the house!!! Yay for Carrie starting to feel better!!!!!
How fun! I had never heard of a touch tank before- now I have to go find one. Ken and I are so glad to hear that you are feeling better!
That is great that you're starting to feel better! The aquarium looks awesome! I like the shots of Sawyer up close with the crocidile. And the touch tank- that would be so much fun! How much longer are you guys in NC?
Post a Comment