Monday, February 18, 2008

No more MILK?!

The week of Sawyer's birthday, we discovered (with the help of his wonderful doctor) that Sawyer is lactose intolerant!!! Whatever will we do? This boy screams and collapses on the floor, begging for milk or cheese!

He's not a fan of the soy milk unless it's chocolate, and it's harder than I thought working with meal preparation issues. Breakfasts without milk in cereal or oatmeal, lunches without mac & cheese, snacks that can't be string cheese or go-gurt, family dinners that don't include milk or cheese in the recipe...

Luckily, the research shows that when it hits around this age (it wasn't since birth), he could grow out of it. Every few months we can give dairy another shot and see how he reacts to it.

How could this happen to a boy from Wisconsin?!

2 comments:

Annalisa and Vance said...

Your bolded and larger letters that said, "How could this happen to a boy from Wisconsin" made me laugh outloud. I showed my roommates. They liked it too. Oh no....lactose intolerant! dangit! How did the doctor find out if he was lactose intolerant? Did he have stomach aches after consuming milk products? Either way...he's so cute. Congratulations on the cake contest. It's great!

Kindt Family said...

Well, Sawyer had several weeks of crazy juicy diapers, occurring nearly every diaper change. It was also paired with lots of painful gas. He wasn't sick in any other way, so I was kinda onto it myself. My little brother became lactose intolerant at 16. So, one day I tested it by not giving him dairy, and he was better by the next day! I kept him clear for a few days, then tried giving him some milk just on his cereal, and by lunch time he was feeling sick again. Luckily that was the same week as his scheduled doctor check-up, so we talked about it with her and she agreed that was probably it. There's no way to really test for it, you just figure it for yourself. I'm not really surprised, because Joe is kind of sensitive to dairy himself, so it may have been passed on to Sawyer.