Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I MADE something!


I've been itching to try some woodworking for YEARS.  The stars finally aligned, since we're not moving anymore, plus I had an actual, functional need for the home.  I REALLY wanted a forward facing bookshelf for the boys' room.  I was so sick of regular shelves, with all the tipping and slipping, and kids only being able to see the spines (which mean nothing to 2 year olds)!  This way they can see the fronts & get interested, grab them themselves, and PUT THEM AWAY themselves.  I'm SO HAPPY with how it turned out.  I don't think I have all the right tools to keep up the hobby right now, but it's nice to know I could make something turn out according to the plans, and not just wreck $30 of lumber while experimenting! :)


It has already made a difference in just a single day.  Hunter will go grab books so much more often, since he sees the fronts & they spark his interest.  This investment is making me VERY happy!  If you're interested in making your own, these are the plans I used:

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Wow! Congratulations! I love it! I feel the same way- itching to make something. I was trying to convince David to let me make this kitchen table I saw plans for... but unfortunately we are NOT done moving. Maybe someday :0) But I do love your book shelf!

Katelyn said...

Awesome! Love it! And such a smart idea for kids to SEE their book fronts!

Kelsey said...

What an amazing idea! Looks great, Carrie!

Brittany said...

Holy moly girl! I am impressed! It looks fantastic!

Shanda said...

That is awesome Carrie!! I love that you don't have to deal with books falling over. Do you think it would also prevent a toddler from pulling all the books off the shelf and scattering them all over the floor!? ;) I wish I had wood tools. Pintrest has shown me one too many cool projects! :)